The Big Tweet

Dear readers, this is a special day. You are about to enjoy, or not, the 300th post on Kane's Realm. When it launched in the fall of 2014 I wasn't really sure I would stay with it or what direction it would take, though politics seemed the logical path. Food or how to knit a sweater would probably have been more popular but I'm only interested in eating food and I don't know how to knit. Today is also special because it is my last post.

Nah, I'm just yankin' your chain. It's not my last post. Come on, the election isn't over yet and who knows what's going to happen. I have thought about taking this blog in it's entirety and possibly 100 or so commentaries from my previous blog and entertwining some new thoughts about various posts and blogging in general into a self published book, but that could be expensive, we'll see. One thing has remained consistent in my writing and that is my poor use of punctuation. I pledge that will never change. I have another non-fiction book that I've been fleshing out but it's heavy stuff and don't know if I'll continue it. I'm also revisiting my fiction writing, which you will never get to read unless I'm paid for it by a publisher and you in turn pay them. Hey, I ain't givin' it away in a blog.

Now to the big tweet, I am withdrawing from Twitter. My account will remain open for awhile in the event I have a change of heart but that's not very likely. I put forth some general thoughts on Twitter in my post on August 10, 2016 but I'll go further and say that it is a wasteland of misinformation and lacking in any thoughts worth digesting and that is being kind. As a platform to promote something, if you're already known, it has some merit but for me and frankly most people using it, it's a waste of your time and energy unless you enjoy lies, incoherent snips and redirects to places you probably shouldn't go.

The first thing you learn it that just because someone is following you doesn't mean you should follow them. In fact most of the time they're not really following you as much as they are building reciprocal followers. Within hours of launching my account I had two followers one of whom had over 7,000 followers and following just as many. I did the hospitable thing and followed him, I soon discovered he was a prolific re-tweeter and a lot of it was racist and otherwise disgusting. I unfollowed him, he then unfollowed me within a couple of hours. One of my mutual followers must actually be a computer generating tweets because there are so many of them your fingers would fall off.

Another strange follower was a group purporting to be an association of multiple faiths and atheists who engaged in different perspectives on life's big questions, so, you guessed it, I in turn followed them. On one of their tweets I responded not to forget about free will, there was more, but that's the gist. One of the Christians tweeted back later that there was no such thing as free will. Well I thought alright, we got ourselves a dialogue. Nope. This person never responded to my subsequent tweets, he would simply pose his own next cryptic bullshit question to me like any asshole proselytizer would. No dialogue of any kind. I ended it with him by stating with my free will I now end this exchange!

There are people on Twitter that have millions of followers and often what you're waiting for from them is the equivalent of a bowel movement. Donald Trump has over ten million followers, including me (strictly for research), but I would rather spend my time reading a good book than wasting eye strain on a techie toilet.

Donald Trump is meeting with the Mexican President today, wonder if they'll have taco salad?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sacrifice

A Message From Kane

The Day After