And Now For Something Different...

Do you smoke? You really should, no one's getting out of this journey alive, so enjoy. Not cigarettes, there nasty tasting little shit sticks. I myself enjoy the pipe, cigar and occasionally a hookah!

I'm often asked about pipes so here's some of my brain farts on the subject. Enjoy and you're welcome!

Is there a difference in the smoking quality of cheap drugstore pipes and higher cost machine made and artisan pipes? This oft had debate can result in passionate conflict but it shouldn't. Here's the way the question usually goes, is there a difference between a $25.00 pipe and a $200.00 pipe other than $175.00? The answer is yes.

Rather than get lost in the minutia, the simple facts are that the premium artisan pipe in general smokes better than it's economical cousin because the Briars has in most cases gone through a lengthy drying process, often three to five years or longer. For that period the craftsman has a dramatic pause in turning a profit from this raw material so the price later on will reflect this. That drying is crucial, the more moisture goes away the better the smoke usually will be. Frequently at the lower end when people complain of a "hot" smoke there is usually a lot of moisture still trapped in the briar.

Next comes the most obvious, the aesthetic. A premium pipe maker is an artist and that is not hyperbole. They must also think like an engineer if they are to execute good drilling which results in a just right air draw. To do it right takes time and the craftsman can only produce a limited number of pipes every year unless they intend to work themselves to the point of a breakdown or risk destroying their names through inferior pipes.

Does this mean that all premium pipes will smoke great? Nope. Every once in awhile you may get a dud that just doesn't smoke well for you no matter what you load in the pipe. It's aggravating when this happens especially if you love the looks of the pipe, but we have all faced the problem. It is safe to say that there is a point of diminishing return on your investment. Above the $300.00 mark, in my opinion, you are not going to increase your smoking quality. However, if you happen to love the pipes of a craftsman who gets $600.00 and beyond, you're in trouble because the price is what it is.

Can you buy a cheap pipe that smokes well? Yes, it does happen. The question is how many will you buy before finding the good one and at that point you could have saved your money and bought that beauty you've been dreaming of. Take my advice, do that.

When I started smoking a pipe at the age of 18 I had no real mentors to guide me through the learning stages and frankly young guys weren't really welcome in the shops. So I had a few drugstore pipes my uncle gave me (that's another story) and I was smoking some truly awful tobaccos. Before I start a war here I'll just leave it at the pipes and tobacco weren't working for me. I couldn't understand how I could be so drawn to the idea of smoking a pipe and love the smells coming from passersby pipers ( you could still be in public without being ridiculed) and have such unpleasant escapades myself.

I wandered into a Tinder Box and bought a board pipe and some loose tobacco off the bar. It was better but it didn't take long to realize surely this isn't it. During the next few years I gradually moved forward. I remember the day I decided to spend $50.00 on a Peterson System Pipe. Wow, $50.00, I truly thought I had lost my mind. Not long after I fell in love with an Il Ceppo briar calabash, it was my first handmade artisan pipe. It cost $145.00 and I haven't looked back since or regretted taking the plunge. The rest as they say is history and probably more stories to come!

You can buy a great pipe for $150.00 with no problem and there are some great deals to be had out there in pipeland.

There are only two rules you should use to guide you in this wonderful hobby. 1. Smoke the tobacco you like no matter what other people say and 2. Never spend more for your pipe than you feel comfortable with.

The smoking lamp is lit...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sacrifice

The Day After

A Message From Kane